The Stallion's Stable of Thoughts and Experiences

Thanks For:
Shout Box
Pictures
www.flickr.com
Stallions







Counter
Monday, September 12, 2005
Vacation Update!
Alright people! I know I haven't updated you guys/girls on my vacation so here goes!

Day 1

After having a few guys at the house, Nibaq took me to the airport! I checked in and got everything ready and out of the way before we walked around checking out cell phone prices since I'm thinking about getting the Nokia 6680! Cheapest one we found was KD 140 but it was out of stock! I didn't get to buy the phone (I wish I did though) for 168 at Future and instead Nibaq and I took our laptops to Starbucks and surfed the net before I went to my gates!

I got on the plane and it was empty! Not as empty as I hoped though cause I wasn't able to get a center row to sleep on! Instead I slept on 2 seats! The whole flight from Kuwait to Amsterdam I was pretty much asleep cause it seemed like an old plane that was renovated on the inside! I didn't have my own screen though and so I didn't stay up to see what was being offered!

6 hours later I arrived in Amsterdam and walked around trying to kill the 5 hours before my next flight! I looked at the price of the Nokia 6680 there and it was $890. Big N.O! I figured out that Amsterdam airport is EXTREMELY expensive! I got board of walking around and out of desperation bought an adapter to use on my laptop to kill the last 2 hours before boarding! I boarded the plane and I was excited when I saw the new TVs on each seat!

8 hours later I get into DC and surprisingly it only took me an hour to get through passport check, get my bag, and get through customs! It was an adventure getting my bags though cause it was supposed to come out of carousel 2 but then I saw people get their bags at carousel 3, and some came out of number 6! Mine came out of carousel 3!

2 hour drive to Harrisonburg and I am at my supposed final destination! I had dinner with my host parents and their grand daughter but then I get a phone call from my friend and she asked me to come down to Staunton to spend the weekend with her and her family! I asked my host family to take me down to Staunton, which is a 20 minutes drive, and we get to see my friend's new place! The place is AMAZING! I will describe it later on!

Day 2

Didn't do much except for babysit a 3 week old boy and a 2 year old girl! I also took 4 dogs out and ran around with them in my friend's back yard! I helped clean the house a little but when the evening came around my friends and I came up to Harrisonburg and had a good dinner and after that dinner is when I published my previous post!

Day 3

My friend "S" and I drove down to Richmond VA (a 2 hours drive) with the 2 kids and went shopping for furniture! We went to 1 store and looked around and after we left the store we dropped the 2 year old girl off at her grand parents' house and went back to shopping with the baby boy! During this day I found out the you cannot and I repeat CANNOT find a decent adapter or conversion kit in the US! My laptop and the charger to the digital camera are both 3 prong Asian power plugs and I needed to convert them into 2 prong American plugs! I went to every place that sold electronics and couldn't find a decent converter kit! After my unsuccessful hunt we went back to furniture shopping and "S" found a living room set that she bought! Once we were done we went back to the house, picked up the 2 year old and went home!

Day 4

I did not feel like I was on vacation at this day! I woke up and watched a movie ("The Upside of Anger") and then I was asked to help out! Being a helpful friend I said OK! I didn't realize what I was going to help in until I saw the problem at hand! "S" wanted to move an old dining room set from the top floor to the basement! She didn't realize how bad this would be! Her dad and her husband were at home to help out! She left to go grocery shopping while we tried to move the furniture! The dining room table was pretty easy to move but the china case and the chest of drawers that was underneath were extremely difficult to move! The set was made out of pure Oak wood and it was extremely heavy! Old things were definitely made to last! Once that was taken care of "S", her husband, their 2 kids, and I went to a cook out! After coming back I crashed immediately!

Day 5 (Today)

Took the kids to the babysitter so "S" and I could go to Charlottesville to do some more shopping! We went to "Best Buy" to help me with my issue but nothing could be done but I did buy something for the camera! We then went to the "World Market" where I splurged on myself and bought some European candy/chocolates! After that we went to "Old Navy" where I bought a few pieces of clothing and bumped into a Kuwaiti guy! I saw a guy wearing a jersey that had Kuwait written on it and I had to ask him about where he go it from! He told me he lived in Kuwait and then asked me about why I asked that question! I told him I was Kuwaiti! I introduced myself to him and he did the same! Poor guy wanted to invite me for dinner but since I wasn't staying I told him that I couldn't! Remember I told you that I couldn't find a good converter, well I couldn't find and good cell phones either! I didn't find the Nokia 6680 anywhere! I guess I have to check out DC! Anyways, "S" and I went back to Staunton to pick my things up and then met my host parents! My host parents and I met their grand kids for dinner then proceeded to go home to eat some tasty water mellon! The water mellon was delicious but seemed weird because there were no seeds at all! I received a msg from "K" and called her up and we found out that the person who we were going to stay with in DC has changed his plans and so we have to find someone else to stay with! Finally, I am writing this post to update you guys and girls about my vacation!

Tomorrow

Going to pick up the rental and going around Harrisonburg to take some pics and meet up with friends!

See y'alls later!
Posted by The Stallion @ 11:00 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At September 13, 2005 7:26 AM, Blogger Purgatory said…

    The way you are talking about mobile phones and adapters makes you sound like you never lived in the states! you should have known that by now.

    Try this, go to an airport and you should find a converter bag with all you need. As for Nokia, it is not major in the states, so do not be surprised by not finding any.

     
  • At September 13, 2005 8:13 PM, Blogger Reema said…

    Purgy is right you won't find the Nokia you want, last week my dad FedEx me my new nokia from Kuwait they simply don't have it here. As for the adapter it's the same thing i got all my stuff from Kuwait, try radio shack or even better if you're into it try eBay, good luck.

     
  • At September 14, 2005 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted to let you know I won't be making it to DC and NY this week after all! And of course you're not finding foreign adapters in b**f*** Harrisonburg! You might be able to find the adapter kit from Radio Shack in DC (there's one on the 1800 block of K Street - i.e. between 18th and 19th - if my memory serves me correctly), although they usually have the heavy duty converters. I got my converter from there in DC. You can sometimes find an adapter kit at a large CVS (there's one about a block away also on K St., or try 21st and L). Other than that try Office Depot on 20th and K St. Just call me "411"! As for mobiles...are you kidding me?? Wait till you get back. Anyway, say hi to DC for me and in particular to Scott Henry if you go on Friday!

     
  • At September 14, 2005 10:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Don't be sorry my trip to VA is for business not pleasure. No time for anything at all. I don't even think I will have time to check out the malls you suggested.
    About Adapter try Circuit City, you will have better luck in DC anyway. Or since DC is not that far from NYC you can go to NY and find all the electronic things you need because majority of the Store carry mostly foreign stuff.I bought my sister a Nokia phone when I was last there. You will for sure have a wide variety of Nokia phone available to you. All you got to do is to put out the Dollar bill
    Plus you get one extra state and awesome city to visit ;)

     
  • At September 14, 2005 10:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh and remember my previous post about New York City is Whole Sale city.
    So better deals!!!!

     
  • At September 14, 2005 11:50 PM, Blogger The Stallion said…

    Purg: Well I knew they had the 6682 but didn't know what the features were! It turend out to be like the 6681! As for the bag I couldn't get it cause Dulles Airport didn't have any stores I could go into without having to show them my boarding pass! Richmond International Airport didn't have anything nor did Reagan! Oh well, I managed to figure something out!

    Reema: I have used ebay before but I don't have the time to order and recieve it! I did go to Radio Shack and found a way to go around my issue!

    Anonymous AKA "F": I wasn't looking in B'burg for those things! Anyways, it sucks that you can't make it down here! I was looking forward to "partying" with you! I might go to the Katarina Benifit Concert on Sunday at the Good Ol' Ballroom! If you wanna see the flier e-mail me! As you may have read in my previous comments, I have already solved my isses so bye for now operator!

    Samboose: Yes you don't have to say it! I'm an addict! Do you miss me at work? I AM HAVING A GREAT TIME!

    ***diamon***: Thanks for the hints but I'm not going to NYC, and I still say that it would have been nice to be able to see you in Rihmond!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: The Stallion
Location: Kuwait
About Me: A Kuwaiti guy, but definitly not your typical Kuwaiti! I'm very openminded and like to meet new people!
See my complete profile
Previous Posts
Archives
Special Blogs
Interesting Blogs
Credits

Template by:

Free Blogger Templates

Modified by:



Powered by:

BLOGGER