The Stallion's Stable of Thoughts and Experiences

Thanks For:
Shout Box
Pictures
www.flickr.com
Stallions







Counter
Wednesday, May 25, 2005
Black Art

I wanted to post this last night but didn't get to it so here it is! About a month I was told to show up to an art exhibit that was going to happen! That exhibit's opening happened a few days ago on the 22nd. I couldn't go the first day nor could I go on the second day! I did read a review on the second day written by Tata_Botata and I was confused! You can read what he said about the exhibit by clicking on his name!


It was weird to read how a person says that he "likes" the set up and the way it was done but turns around to criticize the work as if he was an expert! It takes some open-minded people to understand art and appreciate it! I guess people don't realize that! According to him, Mona should have kept her drawings in her sketch book! That just shows me how people here like to keep everyone in the dark and prefer to put people down and not want anyone to express themselves! If people don't do what Mona did and show off their work, people in our community wouldn't know that such artistic and unique pieces exist! People won't realize that art is not just paint on a canvas or sculptures! I actually encourage people like Mona to come out and show off their art and don't care about what people have to say unless they have "constructive criticism!" Other than that no one has the right to critique art unless they are accomplished artists!


Mona, you go girl! Your exhibit was great, thought provoking, inspiring to some and brought our society a new twist on Art! Keep up the GREAT work and I hope I get invited to your other exhibits in the future!

Posted by The Stallion @ 7:16 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At May 26, 2005 10:50 AM, Blogger Rampurple said…

    i just realized, all the people u linked to are under "special blogs" awwwwwwwwwwww how sweet

     
  • At May 27, 2005 12:59 PM, Blogger Gigi said…

    Hi :)

    I respect your idealistic defence of art but I must say I disagree with you on some points.

    I made a comment on Tata's blog but I feel that part of what I said is relevant to one of the points you were making, regarding artists who would be so discouraged by criticism that they would stop.. so I'll repost it here :)

    "Now, I would never tell an artist to stop creating, but if I thought something was poor I would say so! Because I would think an artist would want to improve his/her skill by having their weaknesses pointed out and not just have their asses kissed. If they stop creating art just because someone said "I think you could have done this better" and hangs up their brush/pen/pencil/mouse/whatever then they weren't truly artists to begin with, and good riddance to them. Being an artist means having passion undaunted by criticism. You make art because you can't NOT make art, rather than make art just as long as your ass is kissed"

    Also, you criticized Tata for expressing the fact that he disliked her work, saying that he was not an expert and unjustified in his opinion.

    However, you referred to her work as "such artistic and unique pieces". So you also made a judgement on the quality of her art. Does that mean you are an expert?

    (I mean, you criticized tata for voicing his opinion despite the fact that he is not an expert so I would assume that you wouldn't perpetrate a double standard by voicing your own opinion if you were not, indeed, an expert on Art)

    Or are you just saying that her work is amazing because you are not "an accomplished artist" (who you say are the only people who can critique art) and because you want to be "open-minded"?

    Gigi, questioningly

     
  • At May 27, 2005 1:19 PM, Blogger The Stallion said…

    Your comment, Gigi, is duely noted! Thanks for taking the time to write up this comment and put your point of view out on the table!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: The Stallion
Location: Kuwait
About Me: A Kuwaiti guy, but definitly not your typical Kuwaiti! I'm very openminded and like to meet new people!
See my complete profile
Previous Posts
Archives
Special Blogs
Interesting Blogs
Credits

Template by:

Free Blogger Templates

Modified by:



Powered by:

BLOGGER